A good day on the media-blogging front, with lots to chew on:

• Photojournalists Are Getting Artsier — But Is That What Audiences Want? A thoughtful piece by Dennis Dunleavy at Black Star Rising on the state of the modern art/craft of photojournalism.
  • Quick InDesign Tips with Scott Kelby. A nice video from Layers Magazine with all sorts of keyboard shortcuts for inDesign. You know: that program for doing print.
  • Denver Post to drop standalone business section on M-F. The Post is the latest newspaper to fold its business coverage into the news section. Not sure if this is a cost-saving measure or if it’s a recognition that the bulk of what fills the business section is being better covered elsewhere.
  • New Paradigm: Professional Citizen Journalists. Intriguing concept and Len Witt has some very good questions about the idea.
  • Should most journalists remain specialized? Editor’s Weblog passes along the thoughts of Bas Broekhuizen, editor of Volkskrant TV in the Netherlands, who reports that after experimenting with multi-skilled journalists, the best approach to get the journalism he wanted was to go with specialists. There’s a full blog post in here: I may get time for it later this week.
  • What killed newsrooms? The Web? Management? Labor? MiniMedia Guy Tom Abate looks at some of the discussion about how newspapers have arrived at their current state and offers a couple of sobering, sharp observations: Capital always survives and Labour is screwed. You need to real the whole thing.
  • A Canadian is shaking up the Northwest newspaper business. A piece at Crosscut, subtitled “If printed papers are dying, publisher David Black of Victoria acts like the happy guy at the funeral,” about the Canadian-based publisher (whom I once worked for, briefly, near the end of my newspapering days). The article about Black’s success, built largely on an ever growing chain of newspapers that delivers free newspapers to “every door” and lives off advertising sales, is a little light, but the story is an interesting one.
  • Innovation takes lots of work, time – a challenge for college media. Bryan Murley points to one of the problems with keeping college media innovating. Fortunately, our student newspaper is part of the curriculum and maintains its momentum through the way the program is designed. Even with that, though, there’s the challenge of establishing mindset with each new class, so I can imagine the problem when the newspaper operates independently of a program.
  • Gutiarrrising. Not media-related at all, but with all the fuss over fake-guitar-based video gaming, I’m pleased to see this: you use a real guitar and play real notes. Play, have fun and learn all a once.